Spoken by about 230 million people, Portuguese is the sixth most widely spoken language in the world.
It is one of the official languages of the European Union as well as other international organisations such as: African Union, the Community of Portuguese Language Countries, Mercosul, the Organisation of American States, the Organisation of Ibero-American States, and the Union of South American Nations.
It will be really useful when looking for an international career.
Learning Portuguese will help you to gain access to a whole new range of countries spread over 4 continents. It has remarkable literature (Jose Saramago, Fernando Pessoa, Jorge Amado, Paulo Coelho, Jose Eduardo Agualusa, Mia Couto) music (Fado, Brasilian music) gastronomy, places to visit and relax, and warm and welcoming people. Across Europe there is a large community of Portuguese and Brazilian immigrants in countries such as Luxemburg, Switzerland, France and England. In Africa: Angola (one of the faster growing economies in the world), Moçambique, Guiné-Bissau, São Tomé e Príncipe. In Asia: East Timor, Macau, Goa. In the Americas: Brazil is the fifth largest economy in the world. There is a large community of Portuguese and Brazilian immigrants in the United States. In many areas of the US Portuguese is commonly spoken.
The Portuguese GCE (AS/A2) will be perfect for those who aim to master the Portuguese language.
After the course you should be able to:
- Discuss, write and understand the Portuguese language at a high level
- Assimilate, identify and discuss Portuguese culture and habits through literature, history, music, sports, and many other areas
- Communicate in a fluent and structured manner, be able to identify when a more subjective or objective approach needs to be used on a conversation or written document
- Be able to articulate experiences and express thoughts, feelings and opinions for discussion
- Master a wide range of vocabulary and express ideas in many different ways according to the context and environment.
It will be taught by a native speaker who will be able to pass on all their experience and knowledge of this rich and living language.
Boards: CIE and OCR